Bharath Institute of Science and Technology (BIST) started with Sri Lakshmi Ammal Educational Trust as the first self-financing Engineering College in Tamil Nadu in 1984 by Dr. S. Jagathrakshakan. The trust then established Sree Balaji Dental College and Hospital in 1989. Sree Balaji Dental College and Hospital was first recognized as a Deemed to be University by MHRD in July 2002, under section 3 of UGC Act 1956 and placed under the purview of new trust of Bharath Institute of Higher Education and Research (BIHER). The Bharath Institute of Science and Technology (BIST) and other institutions (below) was then brought under the ambit of Bharath Institute of Higher Education and Research (BIHER).
Bharath Institute of Higher Education and Research
- Bharath Institute of Science and Technology
- Sree Balaji Medical College and Hospital(SBMCH), Chennai
- Sree Balaji College of Nursing, Chennai
- Sree Balaji College of Physiotherapy, Chennai
- Sri Lakshmi Narayana Institute of Medical Sciences (SLIMS), Pudhucherry
Thus, Bharath Institute of Higher Education and Research (BIHER) is providing multi-stream, multi-cultural and high-quality education to nearly 10000 students from all around the world. It is functioning in a sprawling area of 603 acres of land with 1.3 crore sq.ft buildings located in six Campuses both in Tamil Nadu and Pudhucherry, equipped with the state of the art infrastructure facilities. There teaching Faculty members are well-qualified and have vast experience in research to teach and supervise various UG and PG programmes.
Bharath Institute of Higher Education & Research (BIHER) envisions and constantly strives to provide an excellent academic and research ambience for students and members of the faculties to acquire professional competence along with human dignity, and spearhead the transformation of community through continuous discovery in science and technology.
- To develop as a Premier University for Teaching, Learning, Research and Innovation on par with leading global universities.
- To impart education and training to students for creating a better society with ethics and morals.
- To foster an interdisciplinary approach in education, research and innovation by supporting lifelong professional development, enriching knowledge banks through scientific research, promoting best practices and innovation, industry-driven and institute-oriented cooperation, globalization and international initiatives.
- To develop as a multi-dimensional institution contributing immensely to the cause of societal advancement through spread of literacy, an ambience that provides the best of international exposures, provide health care, enrich rural development and most importantly impart value-based education.
- To establish benchmark standards in professional practice in the fields of innovative and emerging areas in medicine, dentistry, nursing, physiotherapy, allied sciences, engineering, and management.
- To launch new programmes with innovative curriculum design by provide multi-faceted exposure in various subjects.
- To provide flexibility to students - options / add-ons to core subjects, develop Device Agnostic Technology to access online content
- Funding / incubation entrepreneurial ideas, Flipped class room – Integrated Courses & Need based learning.